Thursday, March 31, 2011

Wednesday - Whatever Wednesday

Personal photo, please do not lift

Kids do say the darndest things. They repeat just about everything they hear. They will make statements that they have no indication of what it means. Tolerance is such a hard thing to teach in this age and time. A lot of the blogs I read each day are written from a Christian perspective. I am not really a religious person, but that does not mean that I do not try and live my life by the golden rule. I teach my children to treat others as you would like to be treated. I teach them that being kind to others even when they are not kind to you is one of the ways you can make a difference in their life. By just offering kindness to someone who isn't being kind to you might turn their day around. I am not perfect in practice of this theory, we all have our bad days. All men were created equal, with certain unalienable rights. The founding words of our country. I do not care if you are white, black, Asian, gay, straight, Christian, Muslim, Jewish or disabled. Each person has a right to live their life in a way that makes them happy. If their lifestyle does not impede on my ability to live my daily life then why should I pass judgement on them. There are good people and there are bad people who belong to EVERY sector of the population. Just because someone belongs to a group because of skin color or orientation does not make them good or bad. Each individual should be "judged"(and I hate to use that word, but you do form an opinion about people you meet, let's face it we are human)on their on merits as an individual. You cannot lump people together, for true tolerance everyone has to be accepted on their on merit, you can't really say, hey this group is ok, but then stereotype another segment. For our world to truly change with each generation we need to teach our children about tolerance across the board. To take every human being and look at the individual and not decide how we feel about them based on any "group" they may belong to. We can change the prejudices in this world a little bit at a time through each generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment